Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Wonders of A Rainy Day

Since January 3rd our family has been plagued with cold viruses.  My son and I have stayed close to home.  This hasn't been a totally bad idea, as the weather has been really nasty.  Before moving to Alabama, I was under the impression that it was almost always sunny and warm here.  So, I was in shock when we had the first white Christmas in our area for 17 years.  Then the rain came.  I feel like I moved into a monsoon!  As you can probably imagine we have gone stir crazy, become totally bored with television - even cable. 

Being persistent in my desire to provide some sort of entertainment without TV, we embarked on a variety of fun, indoor adventures. 
  • We read books to each other
  • Made hand puppets out of old gloves
  • Built castles and forts with Legos
  • Sorted Legos
  • Wrote letters and drew pictures to send to Church missionaries in far off countries
  • Created parts of our own science fiction novel
Much to my surprise, when we finished all of these things that my son wanted to do, he looked at me and asked, "Now Mom, what do you want to do. . . you know, for you?"  I was so amazed and touched by his thoughtfulness, I just didn't know how to respond.  For moments, I felt as if I were the one on the spectrum.  So many emotions flooded my mind at once, I was at a loss.  I just stared at my son with astonishment.  

Later, we ended up looking through cookbooks to see what kinds of goodies we might want to cook up (One of the things I wanted to do for me).  My son actually enjoyed looking at these with me.  He made funny faces when a recipe sounded weird or the ingredients were unusual.  He dog-eared the pages he wanted me to try.  We shared ideas.  It was a glorious few moments I will cherish forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment