Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Passionate Career

At a family gathering, I was recently asked if I had any career aspirations.  I stumbled and thought, I used to have a career . . . you know the one where you get to wear great clothes and go out to lunch with seemingly important people.  And of course, on that actually paid.  I left that career to raise my children and haven't looked back.  Did I still have career aspirations? That gnawed on me for days.  I started to think about what it is that makes me passionate.  It was then that I discovered I do have a career.

My career is challenging and there is never a dull moment.  Sometimes it is more rewarding than I ever imagined.  Other time, it takes all I have to get through the day.  I can plan out my week and inevitably, it changes.  Honestly, I never know what I will be doing next.  My hours are long, but never tedious.  My duties include that of a chef, teacher, chauffeur, housekeeper, personal shopper, financial analyst, scout leader, multi-tasker, relationship counselor and nurse.  I am not paid by any measurable means, but by hugs, kisses, homemade cards and big toothless grins.

I am a MOM, a career MOM.  Other jobs I may take for monetary gain don't hold a candle to the passion I possess for this role.  For it is my role as a Mom from which I set my standards and measure my success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment